An 18th century Plymouth hybrid hard paste pickle dish, hand painted in underglaze blue with the Narcissus pattern and highlighted with onglaze red c1768-70.
The pickle dish measures 9.5cm in diameter by 8.4cm including the handle.
It is in great display condition but has profession restoration to the top and right hand leaf tips.
Plymouth Porcelain is the dawn of British hard paste porcelain. The factory was owned by William Cookworthy, a Quaker and chemist based in Notte St, Plymouth. Cookworthy had for many years been experimenting with the production of porcelain since he discovered China Clay readily available in Cornwall circa 1755. Cookworthy recieved a patent for hard paste porcelain production on March 17th, 1768. The Plymouth factory is thought to have been located on Coxside, on Sutton Pool in Plymouth although no excavations have proved this conclusively. The factory only ran for two years from 1768-1770 before it moved to Bristol due the larger factory premises there and more easily available fuel for the kiln. Cookworthy ran the Bristol factory in partnership with Bristol merchant Richard Champion. When Cookworthy retired in 1773, Champion bought the patent for making hard paste porcelain and Cookworthy’s interest in the factory and continued to run the business until it closed in 1781 with the sale of the patent to the proprietors of the New Hall China Manufactory. (Copied from the British Museum’s website)